Saturday, April 14, 2012

Quick, Easy & Healthy recipe

I wanted something different for lunch the other day and came up with this, it was good, filling and only has 92 calories per patty.  It's adaptable too, add whatever veggies & seasonings you have on hand.

Black Bean Patties:
1 can black beans, drained & rinsed
1/2 onion, chopped fine
1 lg stalk celery, chopped fine
1/2 C oats
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp tumeric
Salt & Pepper to taste
2 T olive oil, divided
2 T sherry (or other liquid)

In skillet heat 1 T oil.  Cook onion & celery until soft.  Meanwhile, in medium bowl, slightly mash beans.  In blender or food processor, pulse oats & spices just until oats are smaller.  Add oat mixture and vegetables to beans, mix/mash well.  Splash in sherry (or other liquid).  Heat griddle and grease with remaining oil.  Measure by 1/4 cup onto griddle, press down to form patties.  Cook 2-3 min per side or until golden brown.  Makes 5 patties. 
* I had this on a bed of romaine lettuce with a few homemade tortilla chips. My husband had his "burger" style with cheese and ketchup.  Definitely a recipe I'll be making again.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds really good. I will have to try it sometime. At times (especially if there are no leftovers on hand) I have trouble deciding what to eat for lunch. This would be good ... could even cook the patties and then store in the freezer for those times, I would think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Mrs. T. I forgot to mention in the original post that I'm planning to make a large batch next time to freeze. :) I hope you enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete