Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Easy dinner idea.

This week's weather has been warmer than usual so many of the recipes I had planned, such as soups, didn't sound appealing.  Tonight I made a salad that is easy, nutritious and my whole family really enjoys. 

Sweet Potato & Beet Salad:
3-4 whole fresh beets
5 small sweet potatoes
6 C shredded romaine lettuce
1 C chopped nuts (pecans or walnuts work well but use your favorites)
4oz goat cheese, crumbled (optional)

Cook the beets and sweet potatoes however you prefer* peel and chop into large chunks.  Place lettuce on platter top with beets, sweet potatoes, nuts and cheese (if using).  Serves 6
*I boil the beets and about 1/2 way thru add the potatoes & boil them.  After they are boiled the skins peel right off; no need to peel or wash first.

The first time I made this salad I served it as a side dish to roasted chicken.  Tonight I served it by itself for a nice light meal on a hot night.

No comments:

Post a Comment