Thursday, September 29, 2022

Bible Study Methods: James Method & Verse Mapping

 


Before we dive into our study of a Psalm I wanted to explain the method I'll be using.  In my previous post I referred to it as The James Method.  Thinking about it further, the method is actually a combination of the James Method and Verse Mapping.  You can read more about each at the links I provided.  I will not be purchasing any special journals or tools.  I'm planning to print the following steps (taken from the websites) and keep them in my own journal to reference. I will also be using the English Standard Version (ESV) of the Bible.


(1.) VERSESelect and write your verse(s) to map.

(2.) DESIGNWrite your verse(s) in 2-4 different translations. Pick out key words or phrases that stand out.

(3.) DEVELOPMENTLook up key words or phrases in Hebrew/Greek. Write down definitions, synonyms, and root words. Discover and note underlying meaning in verse(s).

(4.) ACTIONSResearch and document what tells the story in this verse(s) through the people, places, and context referenced. Draw connections to other concepts in Scripture.

(5.) FIND – Find at least 3 cross references in Scripture

(6.) GOD – Based on everything you have gathered what does it teach you about God?

(7.) YOU/MANKIND – Based on everything you have gathered what does it teach you about yourself/mankind.

(8.) ASK/APPLICATION – Ask yourself questions. How can you apply these truths to your life?

(9.) PRAISE/PRAY – Ask God for help. Praise Him. Pour your heart out to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment