Monday, January 8, 2024

Happy Homemaker Monday 1/8/24

Happy New Year!  It has been a busy two weeks with celebrating Christmas, ringing in the New Year and getting our oldest daughter headed back to college.  I'm thankful for the slower pace and relaxed routines we were able to have; although school breaks are never long enough!  We finally got some snow; almost a foot of it!  So the kids have a snow day today while the city, schools and people dig out.    I thought I'd take a minute to join in this week's Happy Homemaker Monday with Sandra over at Diary of a Stay At Home Mom.    I hope you all are having a great week and start to this new year.

The Weather:

It's cold here today, but very sunny.  It's pretty to see the sun shining off the snow and the snow covered trees.

Outside my Window:

Snowy & Sunny!  I still need to clean off my car (again) from all the snow.  Speaking of my car, yesterday we had 1/2 of our mulberry tree fall on top of my car!  Thankfully there was very minimal damage and no one was outside when it happened.  My car is older so I'm not even worried about the dent caused. 

Right Now I am:

Taking a minute to sit and blog while bread dough is rising and laundry is finishing.  


Thinking and Pondering: 

Many things!  What needs to get done this week, how I need to trust God more, how to best honor God in a specific situation, whether or not God is calling me to a specific ministry and what that would look like.
 
Podcasts I'm listening to this week:
 I listened to a couple by Kelly Minter over on her Cultivate podcast.  I love how God works; last year I read Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World, after many weeks of not listening to a podcast I decided to listen to Kelly's podcast from last January about starting a new year.  The teaching was from the story of Mary & Martha and was exactly what I needed to hear that day.

On my T.V this week:

Hoping to finally watch the Oppenheimer movie

On the Dinner Plate:

Chicken Pot Pie. 

On the Menu this week:

I actually sat down this morning (first time in several weeks) and wrote up a menu.
 
Spinach & Artichoke Pasta
Fish & Chips with carrot sticks & cucumber slices 
Sheet Pan Shrimp Fajitas (filling served over brown rice)
Taco Soup
Big Mac in a Bowl
Sweet Potato Bacon Chowder
20 Minute Moo Shu Chicken with pitas 
Pesto Parmesan Spaghetti Squash Chicken Bake

What I'm Reading:

Bible
I'm currently looking for my next book to read. 


On my To-Do list today:

Laundry
Make Bread (mostly done) ✓
Vacuum Main Floor ✓ (thanks to daughter doing this for me)
Blog 
Clean off Car & clean up driveway some
 

Plans for this week:

Return some things to a lady we served with this weekend
Run Errands
Get together with friends Friday evening
Work on shawlette for Youth Group fundraiser (silent auction item)
Continue working on daughter's blanket

What I'm Creating:

With all the holiday festivities I haven't had a lot of time for crafting.  I did start crocheting a shawlette using this pattern for the Philomena Crochet Shawlette It is working up quickly and coming out nice so far.
                                                     

From the Camera:

I don't have a lot of pictures as I was focused on just enjoying the time with family but here are a few from the past couple weeks.

 


 
 
The kids had a lot of fun playing in the snow yesterday.
 
 
On Friday night we went to the city for a date night.  
It was pretty to see some of the Christmas decorations that were still up.
 
 
Kayson likes being up high so this is his favorite 
spot to hang out when we are in the basement.
 

Highlight from Last week:

There have been many highlights over the past week.  Celebrating Christmas with family and friends, the beautiful Christmas Eve services at church, extra family time & a more relaxed pace over vacation, getting to go on a fun date night and today having a snow day.

 
Bible Verse/Devotional Quote:

There are days and weeks where I feel like I'm doing well with trusting God. Then there are other weeks where every day is a struggle and things that I thought I had left in His hands come barreling back and knock my faith to it's knees.  The why's and other questions can be so discouraging.   Recently I had been having one of those weeks; I was wrestling with God and fighting hard to not fall back into old habits and unhealthy coping mechanisms.  I didn't really feel like listening to worship music but Spotify has a Release Radar list that they update with new songs from artists you've listened to, I listen to many different genres of music; however, since much of what I listen to is, in fact, worship music there are often new worship songs.  I put the playlist on, half listened to the first song and then this song came on next.  As the song played I started smiling and praying.  Okay, God, I hear You.  It's a great reminder to keep trusting, keep enduring, God does care  He does see and He doesn't forget....Don't stop praying!





On My Prayer List:

Family & Friends who are ill.

Kids away at college and kiddos here this school year.

Wisdom in parenting

Peace & the willingness to let go of things that are not mine to carry.

5 comments:

  1. This was such a good read today, Elisha! That shawlette is beautiful! It might be something my minimal crocheting skills could handle (as if I need any more projects!) Are you going to add the tassels?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We got the call this afternoon that our local schools are going "virtual" tomorrow. I'm glad to hear that there wasn't much damage to your car. I'm ready for Spring! lol Have a great week :)

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos, lots of snow for you as well. We liked the Oppenheimer movie but it is a long one. Hope your week is off to a wonderful start!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great menu plan. Bet the house smells good with the homemade bread. Glad nobody got hurt with that tree. Our snowday is today. Have a great week

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the picture of the kitty on the steps. I'm definitely a cat lady! Everything on your menu sounds yummy! I've been wanting to make some taco soup. Maybe this weekend!

    ReplyDelete