Friday, January 12, 2024

Word of the year - 2024

It's always fun for me to see how God leads each year.  Last year I chose the word comfort, you can read about it in this blog post.   As 2023 came to a close I was pondering which word I might choose for 2024.  I have a letter board in our entryway and usually change up the verse each month with verses containing whatever my word is for that year.  One way that I see if I've chosen the "right" word is if the first verse God brings to mind fits on that letter board; it's a little silly but has worked for me. 

There were two words that I was considering for 2024 as they kept coming up over and over last year.  One was healing/healed and the other was faithful.  The verse that I was considering for healed was Jeremiah 17:14 "Heal me, O LORD, and I shall be healed; save me, and I shall be saved, for you are my praise."  as I was putting it on the letter board I realized I would not have enough of each letter to do the whole verse.  As I thought about it more I realized that healing comes when we are faithful to God, when our focus is on Him and we trust Him in all our circumstances. 

Faithful is a word that God had already given me in 2023.  So many times I want my circumstances to change, I want others to change, I want my own weaknesses and issues to go away.  But God keeps reminding me that so much in life is not mine to carry.  This blog post sharing the Wagon of Rocks story was a huge encouragement to me regarding what I am and am not to carry.  He has asked me to be faithful to Him, to trust Him, to keep my focus on Him.  It's very easy for me to get distracted, to have my thoughts go awry but God has simply asked me to be faithful. 

So, this year I'm focusing on the word faithful.  Right now the verse I have on the board is 2 Thessalonians 3:3.  According to the lexicon, the original Greek word for faithful, used here, is pistos; meaning faithful, reliable. In this verse more specifically the idea is "trusty, faithful, of God, abiding by His promises"

Have you chosen a word for 2024?  I love to see what God has laid on other's hearts so drop a comment and share.

 

2 Thessalonians 3:3 But the Lord is faithful. He will establish you and  guard you against the evil o… | Encouraging bible verses, Bible  encouragement, Thessalonians

1 comment:

  1. Excellent choice of word for the year! I haven't blogged about it yet (still working on that post) but I have chosen the word continue.

    And ... I got your sweet note in the mail today. What a blessing!! Thanks so much for sharing your heart. It was a huge encouragement to me.

    ReplyDelete