Friday, April 11, 2008

God's purpose for me...

A while back I was reading an article about God's purpose for women.  The author focused on how we are to help our husbands and care for our homes and children.  I knew this but was reminded of this today.

I won't go into a lot of detail, so I apologize in advance if this is a bit confusing.  Today a situation occured in our family where I was not able to be the helper.  It was beyond my control (but certainly not God's) and I had to give the situation completely over to God.  While this was a great reminder that God is in control I was amazed at the feeling I had of being displaced.  Someone else was taking on my role of helper (granted for a very short and necessary time).  

After thinking this over and praying about it I am very thankful that God allowed this situation into my life.  Oftentimes I can take for granted, and dare I admit, resent the helping position God has placed me in (Selfishness can crowd so much joy from our lives).  This situation has made me so grateful for the family and home that God has given to me and the privilege that I have to serve and help them each day.  I was reminded of just how much they mean to me and how I must guard my heart from selfishness and ungratefulness.  

When I mentioned this to my husband he described it as "protective".  After thinking over several verses that speak of being the keep of the home.  I agree with him.  How protective we as mothers & wives need to be of our families and the things we allow to enter our homes.  While I could not (and it wouldn't have been wise to) prevent the situation today it was a good reminder to me to truly be the keeper (some devotionals I've read have said this is akin to a gate-keeper) of my home.

No comments:

Post a Comment