Tuesday, November 1, 2022

Psalm 73 - Verse Mapping Study (Verses 13-15)

 

"All in vain have I kept my heart clean and washed my hands in innocence.  
For all the day long I have been stricken and rebuked every morning. 
If I had said, "I will speak thus, " I would have betrayed the generation of your children."
Psalm 73:13-15

DESIGN:

"Surely then in vain I have cleansed my heart And washed my hands in innocence.  For all the day long I have been stricken, And punished every morning.  If I had said "I will say this," [and expressed my feelings], I would have betrayed the generation of Your children." (AMP)

"Verily I have cleansed my heart in vain, and washed my hands in innocency.  For all the day long have I been plagued, and chastened every morning.  If I say, I will speak thus; behold I should offend against the generation of thy children." (KJV)

DEVELOPMENT:

Verse 14:

naga - to touch, reach, strike (in this verse = strike) punish, defeat, destroy

tokachath - argument, reproof

Verse 15:

saphar - to recount (accusative form)

bagad - to act or deal treacherously (accusative form)

dor - generation ( in this verse = of the righteous as a class) 

FIND:

Job 21:15 - "What is the Almighty, that we should serve him?  And what profit do we get if we pray to him?"

Malachi 3:14 - "You have said, 'It is vain to serve God, What is the profit of our keeping his charge or of walking as in mourning before the LORD of hosts?"

Job 7:17-18 - "What is man, that you make so much of him, and that you set your heart on him, visit him every morning and test him every moment?"

1 Corinthians 8:11-12 - "And so by your knowledge this weak person is destroyed, the brother for who Christ died.  Thus, sinning against your brothers and wounding their conscience when it is weak, you sin against Christ."

MANKIND:

The wicked, sinful nature of mankind loves to beat down and argue with those that disagree with them.  Living a life that "goes against the grain" can be wearisome and discouraging.

GOD:

God cares for His own.  He cares if they get offended or betrayed.  The words we share with others matter to God.

ASK/APPLICATION:

Life can be discouraging.  When we are trying to live right and to keep our hearts clean it can be wearisome.  We often feel that we are getting constantly beaten down by the world.  Others just want to argue all the time and it can seem pointless to keep trying to follow God while other are "doing what is right in their own eyes" (Judges 17:6) and prospering in their ways.  

While it is part of being human to get tired and discouraged we need to be careful with whom we share those feelings.  We must be mindful not to cause others to stumble in their Christian walk; to not plant sinful thoughts or our own doubts into their thinking.  God cares deeply for His children and we are to also care for other Christians and the affect our words have on them.  We are also not to be like the world, arguing over foolish, earthly things (2 Timothy 2:23) which can also cause discouragement to other believers.

PRAYER:

Dear Father, thank you for your love and patience.  Thank you for understanding when I get tired, discouraged and feel beaten down by the wickedness and arrogance of this world.  Lord give me strength and encouragement to "not grow weary of doing good" but to remember that I will "in due season...reap if [I] do not give up" (Galatians 6:9).  God grant me wisdom and discernment when sharing with others.  That I don't discourage or cause others to stumble.  Thank you for those that walk alongside me; praying for me, upholding me and continually speaking truth in my life.  Lord, may I be that friend and encouragement to others.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment