Sunday, March 21, 2010

This, that and a tasty treat :)

I've had a few things rattling around that I wanted to write about. First, I have to say that I'm very excited to share about last week's chapter in "The Power of a Woman's Words", I'm hoping to get a separate post up either tonight or tomorrow.

For now, I wanted to give a quick update on how we're doing. I know I haven't posted much about this pregnancy, mostly because (thankfully) there hasn't been much to post. In the words of my midwife I'm having a "nice, boring" pregnancy. I've been fortunate to have another very easy pregnancy. I have had some heartburn and fatigue but I realize these things are SO minor.

The older kids are really excited about the baby. Ethan told me yesterday that he "can't wait" for the baby to be born. He is so excited to finally be getting a brother. It's been a real blessing to me to see their excitement and how much they want to be involved.

Ethan is doing well in K5, he's had some adjustments to being in a classroom but is doing very well with his studies and seems to be making friends well. Hailey is keeping active helping me at home and trying to keep up with Ethan and all that he's doing. She is starting to sound out words some and doing some simple math also. Her birthday is just over a month away and she's very excited about turning 5 and that she will be starting school in the fall.

Keira is learning more and more every day and is very active. She has loved being outside with the "big kids" during the last couple of days of warmer weather. She is starting to talk some, not too clearly yet but she has consistent sounds/words for things. She can now say between 10-20 words and is also learning her body parts.

Life here has been going well. God has truly blessed us this winter. We did have one stomach bug go thru our house but it was mild compared to others we have heard about.

Lastly, I wanted to share a recipe that I came up with yesterday. I had mentioned in a previous post that I was taking up the "shop my pantry/freezer" challenge. Well, one of the things that we ran out of is chocolate chips. I love chocolate when I'm not pregnant and even more when I am, I was really wanting some cookies. I thought about making brownies but it just wasn't what I was wanting. So I decided to look for a chocolate oatmeal cookie recipe. I didn't find any that were what I wanted so I altered a multi-grain cookie recipe and made it chocolate. At first I wasn't sure how they would come out and they were very soft when they came out of the oven but after cooling they firmed up a bit and made a wonderful chewy cookie.

Chocolate Multi-grain cookies:
1 C all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup whole wheat flour (I used 6-grain flour)
1 1/2 cup Old Fashioned rolled oats
1/2 Cup wheat germ
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup vegetable oil (I used a light olive oil)
2oz chocolate, chopped finely
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In large bowl, mix together all dry ingredients. In separate bowl mix together wet ingredients. Stir into dry ingredients. Stir in chocolate and walnuts. Drop by tablespoon onto greased baking sheet, flatten slightly. Bake for 15 minutes or until done. Cool on pans for 1 minute then carefully transfer to cooling racks to cool. Yields: approximately 3 dozen

I made these a bit bigger and the 15 minutes was plenty so if you make them smaller just watch them as they probably will cook faster. Also, if you use the walnuts they do make it more difficult for the cookies to hold together. I ended up just shaping some dough into rounds in my hand which worked well.

No comments:

Post a Comment