Tuesday, March 9, 2010

A tasty recipe

In one of my blog posts last week about some favorite websites I had mentioned Tasty Kitchen. I've tried a few recipes (and have several in my virtual recipe box) from there and have been pleased with the results. Today I tried a recipe for Banana Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bread. This was a huge hit here. I've decided that this recipe will now be my go-to recipe for Banana muffins. The big thing that caught my eye was the use of whole wheat flour and oats. While some whole wheat recipes can be dry or crumbly this one is not. These are delicious and moist.

I did alter the recipe a bit so I thought I'd share the changes I made:

1) I doubled the recipe but didn't have quite enough whole wheat flour so I used almost 3 cups of whole wheat and the rest was white.

2) I never have buttermilk on hand so I thought I'd use just regular milk, it worked fine.

3) I added 1/2 cup of wheat germ.

4) I made most of this into muffins and did 1/2 without chocolate chips and 1/2 with chocolate chips. Both versions are moist and delicious.

These were so good I just wanted to share. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Mmmm, these sound totally yummy!! I haven't been over to Tasty Kitchen for a while--I'm gonna have to visit now. And I think I'll buy some bananas tomorrow so I can make these!

    Thanks also for your tip on the veggie wraps--I'm definitely going to try those!! How do you make your hummus? I have thought about making it before, but every recipe I've seen calls for tahini paste, which I haven't been able to find around here so far.

    Hope all is going well with you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They sound yummy! I'll have to try them sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrie - I used a recipe from Tasty Kitchen. The one I used does have tahini but there are several hummus recipes on that site that do not use tahini.

    ReplyDelete