Sunday, March 14, 2010

"shopping" my pantry and freezer

A while back Carrie over at Life on a Back Road had mentioned a challenge to eat from the pantry. This means that grocery trips are minimized and random ingredients in your pantry are used up. I've decided to take on this challenge for the next couple of weeks.

Before the baby comes I like to freeze several meals so that I don't have to think about cooking for at least a few weeks after we are home. We don't have an extra freezer so I need to clear out the freezer in the fridge to make room for these dinners. I was also looking in my cabinets the other day and realized that I had several random items in there so I'm looking forward to experimenting with what I have on hand. I will still probably make a small trip out for fresh fruits and vegetables but I'm really hoping to clear out a lot also.

As for making the freezer meals. I usually just do things I've made before that I know freeze well. Some of these include homemade mac & cheese, stuffed shells (or other baked pasta dishes) and shepherd's pie. This time I'm doing things a bit differently. There are many great websites for Once A Month Cooking recipes. I did a quick google search and found this website. I found several recipes (many of which are much easier than what I have been doing) that sound really great.

So what are some of your favorite "from the pantry" recipes?

No comments:

Post a Comment