Monday, January 25, 2010

Two "original" recipes

I know there are many variations to these but this is what I came up with and both recipes were a hit here so I thought I'd share.

Baked Southwest Eggrolls
1 lb ground turkey or chicken
1 green pepper diced small
1 onion diced small
3TB olive oil, divided use
1 envelope fajita seasoning mix
2 TB water
1 can whole kernel corn, drained well
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained well
8oz Monterey Jack cheese with jalapenos
33 egg roll wrappers (you'll need 2 pkgs of wrappers)
Salsa
Sour Cream

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat 1 TB oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Brown meat. Add onion and pepper and cook for a few minutes (just until onion starts to soften). Add seasoning mix, water, corn and beans; stir together to coat and let cook. Shred cheese. Turn off heat and allow filling to cool for 15-20 minutes. Working with one egg roll wrapper at a time (keep the other wrappers covered with a damp paper towel) place 2-3 TB filling towards one point, top with about 2 tsp cheese. Wet edges of wrapper and fold up "egg roll" style. Place on greased baking sheet. Continue until all filling is used. Lightly brush rolls with olive oil. Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, until golden and crispy. Serve with salsa and sour cream for dipping.


Homemade Fish Sticks
2lbs frozen mild fish (I used flounder)
1 cup flour
Salt
Pepper
3 egg whites
1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
1 1/2 cups coarse corn meal
Garlic powder

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In pie plate mix flour, salt & pepper. In another pie plate place egg whites. In third pie plate mix bread crumbs, corn meal and garlic powder. Cut fish into "stick size" (the flounder fillets I got were small so simply cutting them lengthwise worked great). Pat dry. Dredge each fish piece in flour, then egg white, then bread crumb mixture. Place on lightly greased baking sheet (I used a baking stone which worked great without any oil). Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.

Tomorrow the kids and I are going to try making "dessert" egg rolls with bananas and chocolate chips. I found several recipes online but they all say to fry the egg rolls. We're going to try this baking method. I'll let you know how it works out.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm, those both sound really yummy!! Thanks for sharing. By the way, I keep meaning to comment and say I appreciate your sharing each week from your devotions--I'm hoping to start doing something like that on my blog soon, too. I also enjoyed seeing your pics from DC--what a fun getaway!! I would love to go back there someday--my only time was when we went in jr. high with the school (I think Matt was on that trip too), and I know it would be way more meaningful to me now!!

    Also thanks for the sympathy card. I appreciate your thoughtfulness! Hope all is well with you guys. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie,
    I'm glad you are enjoying the posts. I decided to do the devotions posts as a way of staying accountable, I tend to do really well for awhile and then get off track. I'm hoping that by checking in here I can stay more focused.

    Elisha :)

    ReplyDelete