Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Casserole Cozy: My experiment :)

Several months ago I began looking for a casserole cozy crochet pattern. I really wanted something that would fit my 9X13 pans to make it easier to transport them to church dinners and other potlucks. I found nothing. I did find several sewn cozies but I really wanted a crocheted one for two reasons: 1) I'm much more comfortable with my crocheting than with my sewing and 2) I have several random skeins of yarn that I am trying to find smaller projects to use them up.

When I didn't find a pattern I decided to try my hand at making up my own pattern. This pattern should work up fairly quickly but because it was trial and error it took me a few weeks (and a few sanity breaks) to finish.

I'll post the instructions but please understand: 1) This is my first time attempting to do a crochet pattern 2) I haven't tested this pattern. I did double check all the stitch counts but I can't guarantee that I didn't make a few mistakes. If you use this and find any mistakes please let me know. Enjoy :)

Crocheted Casserole Cozy
(fits 9X13 pan)

Materials needed:
Size F hook (3.75mm)
8oz medium worsted weight yarn
2 18 inch zippers
1/8 yd of duck cloth
Sewing machine and pins

Stitches & abbreviations:
CH - chain
SC - single crochet
SL ST - slip stitch
DECSC - decrease single crochet
INCSC - increase single crochet

Chain 41
Row 1: SC in second chain from hook. SC in each stitch across (40 SC)
Row 2: CH 1 turn SC in each stitch across (40 SC)
Row 3-27: Repeat row 2
Begin working in the round. CH 1 (this counts as 1st SC) SC down side of 27 rows just completed place 3 SC in corner and work around the rest of the piece placing 3 SC in each corner. SL ST to first SC, do not turn!
CH 1, 1 SC in each stitch around for 4 rounds.
In fifth round you will again increase. CH 1 SC in each stitch placing 3 SC in each corner stitch. SL ST to first SC.
CH 1, 1 SC in each stitch around until you reach the top of your dish (for me this a total of 15 rounds from start of rounds to top of dish)
Beginning of cover:
CH 1, turn. SC across 45 stitches.
(CH 1 turn. INCSC in first SC, SC in each stitch across INCSC in last stitch.)
Continue ( ) for 6 more rows (59 stitches in last increase row)
(CH 1 turn, SC across each stitch (59 stitches))
Continue ( )until a total of 22 rows has been completed (this row count includes your starting and increasing rows)
(CH 1 turn, DECSC in first stitch. SC in each stitch across DECSC over last stitch)
Continue ( ) for 6 more rows (45 stitches in last decrease row)
Fasten off and weave in ends.
Turn cozy inside-out. Attach zippers with pins, making sure they meet up in the front center. Sew to cover and body.
To make the handles I used a 2 1/4 inch by 33 inch strip of duck cloth for each handle. I simply folded the edges into the center (along the long edge) and stitched each side down. I then pinned them to the bottom (over lapping until I had the right amount of handle on top) of the cozy and stitched thru all layers of cloth and yarn.
* I placed each handle 8 stitches in from the side edge of my SC rows on bottom. I also stitched them in a rectangle across the width of the duck cloth handle and down about 6 inches when I attached the handles so they would be well attached and sturdy.
** One thing I made sure of when placing the handles is that I had enough handle to fold over the edge and out of the way when I unzipped the cozy.

You could always skip the zippers and just make a button loop when you did your last DECSC row and attach a button to the front of the cozy body. And of course you can use whatever method you like for making handles..this is just what I came up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment