Tuesday, January 19, 2010

"The Power of a Woman's Words"

I had mentioned last week that I was waiting to receive a few books I had ordered. One of those books was titled "The Power of a Woman's Words" by Sharon Jaynes. I have to admit that I hesitated in ordering this book because some of the Amazon reviews stated that there wasn't a lot of God's Word in the book. The impression these reviewers gave was that this was more of a self-help rather than how God can help us to grow in this area.

Despite my hesitations (and because of several other reviews that highly praised this book) I decided to order both the book and study guide. I'm happy to say that I'm very thankful that I did! While I do agree that the actual book has less Scripture than other books I've read the study guide more than makes up for this. While I have only gotten to the second chapter (each study guide chapter is long, and meant to be studied over a week) I have already been both blessed and convicted by the things Mrs. Jaynes shares.

One particularly convicting passage that she references is Matthew 12:36-37:
"But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak,
they shall give account thereof in the day of judgement. For
by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou
shalt be condemned."

I also want to share a couple quotes from the book that really spoke to me:

"We would never carelessly fling a lit match out of a car window while
passing a national forest, and yet many times we carelessly toss fiery
words about as we pass through life" (discussing James 3:3-6)

"How long will our words echo in the hearts and minds of our children,
our husbands, our friends, our fellow believers, and the world? For
all eternity, my friends. To the end of the age"

No comments:

Post a Comment