Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Power of a Praying Wife.

I've started going thru the book "The Power of a Praying Wife" again. This will be my second time thru this book but I've gone back and reviewed sections of the book many time. I highly recommend this book and have given it at several bridal showers. The book is divided into 30 chapters, each one dealing with a different area of your husband's life that you can pray for. One suggestion she gives is to pray one "topic" per day for a month.

One of the things I love about this book is that she uses so much scripture. Every piece of advice she gives is backed up by at least one Bible verse. The second thing I love is that her advice is so practical, she even provides prayers to pray when you have no idea how to even start praying for your husband. The third and probably one of the biggest reasons I love this book is because she's very clear that praying for your husband is not a "magic potion" to "fix" him or all your problems; in fact praying for him is really about the wife and fulfilling your role as helpmeet. The very first area that she says to pray for is "his wife".

As I was going thru this study again there were a couple of points that I had underlined before that once again really spoke to me. I thought I would share a few.

"Gradually I realized it's impossible to truly give yourself in prayer for your husband without first examining your own heart...I had to first pray God's favorite three-word prayer: 'Change me, Lord' " The verse she gives to go along with this is Psalm 66:18 "If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear"

"Let go of as many expectations as possible. The changes you try to make happen in your husband, or that your husband tries to make in himself to please you, are doomed to failure and will bring disappointment for you both. Instead, ask God to make any necessary changes" Ecclesiates 3:14 "whatever God does, it shall be forever, Nothing can be added to it, and nothing taken from it" Psalm 62:5 "My soul, wait silently for God alone, for my expectation is from Him"

She also talks about creating a haven at home for your husband. "Part of making a house a home is allowing your husbnad to be the head so you can be the heart"

There is so much more in just the first chapter. It is such a wonderful reminder to always be in prayer for my husband and that God has given me the privilege as his "second half" to pray for him in a unique way that no one else can.


2 comments:

  1. Elisha, thank you so much for the book recommendation! I have recently been very convicted of how lacking I am in my prayer life, and specifically in praying for my husband, who should be #1 on my list!! Anyway, when I saw your mention of this book (and I had also heard it mentioned recently by Mrs. Nesbitt), I thought "that's just what I need!" So I hurried over to paperbackswap.com, where I had one credit, and thankfully they had it available to order. :) So I will be getting it for free! Yay! I am thankful for how God used your post to remind me of this book and spur me to get my own.

    Sorry I haven't had a chance to comment lately. Looks like you had fun on your vacations! Is Matt's mom settling in well to Thailand life?

    I was very impressed with the baby outfit you crocheted!! It looks so soft and comfy. The blanket is such a neat design. The star shape looks like it would work well for swaddling, too.

    Hope you have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie, I'm so glad that my post was such a help to you. I hope you really enjoy the book, I have learned so much, it seems that every time I read or review a portion of it God shows me more and more. How great that you were able to get it for free too!!

    Matt's mom seems to be doing very well in Thailand. She has e-mailed a couple of times. She starts orientation on Monday and then school starts the next week.

    Thank you for the compliments on the baby items, it was my first attempt trying anything like that but I have to admit I'm pleased with how they came out.

    ReplyDelete