Thursday, January 26, 2023

Scripture in Songs

When I was in elementary school, the curriculum used music to help with Scripture memory.  To this day, I still find myself singing those songs in my head when I read certain verses.  Music is a wonderful way to learn Scripture.  There are many songs written that may not be exactly Scripture but that radiate Scripture throughout the verses.  This is true of the song I want to share today.

A few weeks back I was driving and a new-to-me song came on Spotify.  As I listened I was wishing that I wasn't driving because every line of this song had me thinking of different Scripture verses.  Later that week I printed out the lyrics to the song and today I took a bit of time and matched each line to a Bible verse (sometimes two).  The beauty of this song is that it is ALL about Jesus and Who He is.  I'll post a lyric video for the song at the end but here are the lyrics written along with the corresponding Bible verse(s).  

Can you think of any other Scriptures that this song references?  I'd love for you to share. 

O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer
By: Sovereign Grace Music
 
O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer
"Know that the Lord, he is God! It is he who made us and we are his; we are his people and the sheep of his pasture."~ Psalm 100:3
Greatest treasure of my longing soul 
"For he satisfies the longing soul, and the hungry soul he fills with good things." ~ Psalm 107:9
"As a deer pants for flowing streams, so pants my soul for you, O God."
~Psalm 42:1
My God, like You there is no other 
"remember the former things of old; for I am God, and there is no other; I am God, 
and there is none like me." ~ Isaiah 46:9
True delight is found in You alone 
"Praise the LORD!  Blessed is the man who fears the LORD, 
who greatly delights in his commandments." ~ Psalm 112:1
"I will greatly rejoice in the LORD; my soul shall exult in my God," ~Isaiah 61:10
Your grace, a well too deep to fathom 
"and the grace of our Lord overflowed for me with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus." 
~ 1 Timothy 1:14
"And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work." ~ 2 Corinthians 9:8
Your love exceeds the heaven's reach 
"Your steadfast love, O LORD, extends to the heavens, 
your faithfulness to the clouds." ~ Psalm 36:5
Your truth, a fount of perfect wisdom
 "For the LORD gives wisdom; from his mouth 
come knowledge and understanding;" ~ Proverbs 2:6
My highest good and my unending need 
"As for me I am poor and needy, but the LORD takes thought for me. 
You are my help and my deliverer; do not delay, O my God!" ~ Psalm 40:17
"I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, 
he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. ~ John 15:5
O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer 
"The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, 
in whom I take refuge, my shield, and 
the horn of my salvation, my stronghold." ~ Psalm 18:2
Strong Defender of my weary heart 
"The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? 
The LORD is the stronghold of my life, of whom shall I be afraid?" ~ Psalm 27:1
My sword to fight the cruel deceiver 
"Arise, O LORD! Confront him, subdue him! Deliver my soul from the 
wicked by your sword," ~ Psalm 17:13
"For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, 
piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and 
discerning the thoughts and intentions  of the heart." ~ Hebrews 4:12
And my shield against his hateful darts 
"Every word of God proves true; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him." 
~ Proverbs 30:5
"In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish 
all the flaming darts of the evil one;" ~ Ephesians 6:16
My song, when enemies surround me 
 "The LORD is my strength and my song, and he has become my salvation; 
this is my God, and I will praise him, my father's God, 
and I will exult him." ~ Exodus 15:2
My hope, when tides of sorrow rise 
"Surely there is a future, and your hope will not be cut off." ~ Proverbs 23:18
"But this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope: The steadfast love of the LORD 
never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; 
they are new every morning; 
great is your faithfulness." ~ Lamentations 3:21-23
My joy, when trials are abounding 
"Then he said to them, "Go your way. Eat the fat and drink sweet wine and
 send portions to anyone who has nothing ready, for this day is holy to our LORD. 
And do not be grieved, for the joy of the LORD is your strength." ~ Nehemiah 8:10
Your faithfulness my refuge in the night 
"He will cover you with his pinions, and under his wings you will find refuge; 
his faithfulness is a shield and buckler. You will not fear the terror of the night, 
nor the arrow that flies by day," ~ Psalm 91:4-5
O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer 
"For I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last he will 
stand upon the earth." ~ Job 19:25
Gracious Savior of my ruined life 
"who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because 
of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began, 
and which now has been manifested through the appearing of our Savior Jesus Christ, 
who abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through 
the gospel," ~ 2 Timothy 1:9-10
My guilt and cross laid on Your shoulders 
"He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. 
By his wounds you have been healed." ~ 1 Peter 2:24
In my place You suffered bled and died 
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him 
should not perish but have eternal life." ~ John 3:16
You rose, the grave and death are conquered 
"We know that Christ, being raised from the dead, will never die again; death no longer
 has dominion over him." ~ Romans 6:9
You broke my bonds of sin and shame 
"He brought them out of darkness and the shadow of death, 
and burst their bonds apart." ~ Psalm 107:14
You rose, the grave and death are conquered 
"God raised him up, loosing the pangs of death, because it was not possible 
for him to be held by it." ~ Acts 2:24
You broke my bonds of sin and shame 
"For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus
 from the law of sin and death." ~ Romans 8:2
O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer 
"In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, 
according to the riches of his grace," ~ Ephesians 1:7
May all my days bring glory to Your Name 
"Not to us, O LORD, not to us, but to your name give glory, for the 
sake of your steadfast love and your faithfulness."~ Psalm 115:1
"I will praise the name of God with a song; I will magnify him 
with thanksgiving." ~ Psalm 69:30
May all my days bring glory to Your Name
"Oh, magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt his name together!" ~ Psalm 34:3
"I give thanks to you, O LORD my God, with my whole heart, and I will 
glorify your name forever." ~ Psalm 86:12 





No comments:

Post a Comment