Friday, February 3, 2023

Podcast & Book Shoutout

 About ten years ago my sister-in-law messaged me and said "I just read this book and I think you'd really like it. It's free for the Kindle right now."  The title, and the fact that it was free, both caught my attention so I decided to try it.  The book she was recommending was The Fitting Room: Putting on the Character of Christ by Kelly Minter; the book studies through the virtues listed in Colossians 3:12-14.  At the time, I had never heard of Kelly Minter; since then I have also done Kelly's study No Other Gods with our moms group at church and Finding God Faithful: A study on the life of Joseph with another group of ladies.  I have thoroughly enjoyed each of these studies and love Kelly's style.  It really is like a conversation with a friend.  

As I was first reading through The Fitting Room I knew it was a book that I would want to have as a hard copy; there was so much I wanted to underline.  I bought the book and read through it again.  The great thing is that there is a study guide with questions in the back of the book.  I did the study on my own and then a couple summers ago read through the book yet again and did the study again with a small group of ladies from church.  It didn't feel repetitive as there are always new things to learn from Scripture and I noticed that because I was in a different place in my life I had different answers to some things. 

In the past year or two I have really enjoyed listening to podcasts.  They are great to put on while I'm cleaning or doing other tasks.  Last month I started listening to the Culitvate podcast; which is Kelly Minter's podcast.  I immediately was drawn in because she speaks the same way she writes.  She is real and practical in her teaching. I noticed that she had done a podcast series on the same Colossians passage she wrote about in The Fitting Room.  Even though I have read her book and done the study a couple times; not only was the podcast series a great reminder but there were also new nuggets of wisdom that I found so helpful.  

One of those nuggets of wisdom was the following statement; 

"We can live out the virtues from a place of security because we are chosen;
We can live out the virtues from a place of calling & purpose because we are holy;
We can live out the virtues from a place of belonging because we are dearly loved." 
~Kelly Minter
 
If you'd like to listen to the series on these virtues you can find the Cultivate Podcast here.  The specific episodes for this series are episodes 22 through 26.  You can also find the book The Fitting Room through Kelly's website store.  I just noticed when looking for the link that the book is actually on sale right now through her website.  
 
                                                 The Fitting Room - Putting on the Character of Christ * Kelly Minter

What are some of your favorite studies? Maybe ones you've done more than once.
I'm always looking for great podcasts. Share your favorite podcast in the comments.

2 comments:

  1. Based on your recommendation I just ordered a copy of this book from ThriftBooks.

    Some of my favorite studies -- Loving God with All Your Mind, by Elizabeth George, Finding God's Path Through Your Trials, also by Elizabeth George -- I've done each of these several times and highly recommend them. I would recommend anything by Elizabeth George. Another really great one by her is the one on Psalm 23. I think the name of it has changed several times.

    Have you seen the studies from Daily Grace Co.? Highly recommend these as well. The one on idolatry, More Than Anything, was excellent. I'm currently working through their study on Lamentations and getting so much out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pray it's a blessing to you! It's been a few years but yes, I've done a few studies by Elizabeth George.

    I haven't done any book studies by Daily Grace but the YouVersion Bible in a Year plan that I'm doing this year is a Daily Grace study titled Eden to Eternity. There is a short podcast (less than 10 minutes each) that goes along with each day's reading. I'll have to check out their other studies.

    ReplyDelete