Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Word of the year - 2023

 For the past several years I have chosen a "word of the year".  A word to focus on throughout the year.  Typically I find a Scripture, or Scriptures, through the year to study and better understand the word I have chosen.  This year I wasn't sure if I was going to choose a word.  A couple weeks ago one of my kids asked me if I had chosen one for this year.  When I told her I hadn't decided yet she proceeded to list the last several words I have done and asked if I had any ideas for this year (a great reminder that even when you don't think your kids are paying attention; they most certainly are).  

 


 

I had been praying about if I should have a word for 2023 but hadn't settled on anything.  After that conversation I continued to pray and the next morning God gave me a word.  It "just so happened" (but as we know nothing is a coincidence) later that day a friend sent a group text sharing her word and asking if any of us did or were going to do a word for the year.  It was a neat confirmation that yes, I would have a word and yes, the one I had landed on that morning was the right one.  

Now, before I share what my word is this year I wanted to share another sweet interaction with another one of my kids.  Two recent conversations had highlighted the importance of both home and family.  In those conversations she had expressed how she loves coming home on Mondays because she knows that's my bread baking day and she looks forward to the house smelling like freshly baked bread.  In a separate conversation she shared how that as she gets older she's starting to understand what her dad and I have always said about siblings one day being very important; if not your best friends.  These ideas of home and family lead me to my word.....comfort. 

The verse God gave me for this word is Psalm 119:76 "Let your steadfast love comfort me according to your promise to your servant."  We find much comfort in home and family; in the familiarity, safety and belonging of those things.  As believers we fully have those things in Christ.  We have an eternal home, secured for us by Jesus' sacrifice and we have a family, linked by One Spirit.   All of that comfort is found in the love of God.  His love is sure, His promises are true and we can take comfort in them.  No matter how uncomfortable this world can get we can find comfort in the truth of God's love and His promises.

As mentioned in this previous post, I am once again reading through the Bible in a year.  I'm planning to look for God's promises as I read.  Below are just a few of these promises:

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, 
that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.
for God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order 
that the world might be saved through him."
John 3:16-17 
 
"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life
in Christ Jesus our Lord."
Romans 6:23

"fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God;
I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my
righteous right hand....For I, the Lord your God, hold your right hand; 
it is I who say to you, "Fear not, I am the one who helps you."
Isaiah 41:10 & 13

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to 
his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope
through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance 
that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you."
I Peter 1:3-4


What other promises can you think of?  

What promises of God are comforts that you return to over and over?  

Do you have a "word" for 2023?  If so, how did you see God working to bring that word to you?

1 comment:

  1. "Comfort" is a wonderful word for this year! One of the aspects of God's character that is such a blessing to consider is that He is the God of all comfort.

    A promise I love (there are so many!) is Joshua 1:9 -- "Be strong, and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest."

    Yes, my word for 2023 is "focus" and it felt as if it just dropped into my mind during the last few days of December 2022. I wasn't necessarily looking for it. But God has been reminding me that I need to focus on what's most important in my life and to really sharpen that focus this year.

    ReplyDelete