Monday, May 17, 2021

Quick Thought on Truth

 For several weeks our Pastor preached on the "I AM" statements that Jesus made; as recorded in the book of John.  The entire series has been encouraging and yes, sometimes a gut punch (in a good way :) ).  I was thinking about the statement "I am the Truth" (John 14:6).  So many people are trying to define what is true?  Is truth something that is constant?  Is there absolute truth?  As believers in Jesus we would say Jesus is truth (just like he said), so yes, truth is constant and absolute.  But so many say "well, the Bible is inconsistent so you can't really trust what it says"  but the more you read and study the Bible the more you see the absolute consistency of Scripture and how the truths are so interwoven.   I want to use just a couple verses to show this weaving together of this idea that Jesus is truth:

John 14:6 "Jesus said to him, I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

John 1:1 " In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  He was in the beginning with God.  All things were made through him, and without him was not anything made that was made."

John 1:14 "And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth."

John 17:17 "Sanctify them in the truth. Your word is truth." 

I'm certainly no Bible scholar but I thought the beauty of these verses together, pointing to Jesus as the Word and connecting that with His own words of He Himself being truth was neat. Yes, I realize these verses are all from John but you can find this truth all throughout Scripture; for example, in the creation account the phrase "God said" reminds us that just as stated in John "all things were made through him" (the Word).  In Luke 4:41 and 1 John, Jesus is clearly said to be the Son of God (the Word that became Flesh mentioned above)

The image below is one I posted on Instagram the other day.  I'm so thankful that truth is absolute and no matter what people may say or do nothing will ever change truth and we can trust in every Word God has given us in the Bible.   

If you'd like to hear the entire sermon series on the I AM statements you can find them here.  Our church also has its own podcast now, titled Inside the Pastors' Study (you can also find the podcast on spotify, apple itunes, etc) and this episode is more discussion on the I AM statements.


No comments:

Post a Comment