Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Thoughts on John 13

I had shared this on Facebook but wanted to put it here too:

One of the cool things about having a pretty empty schedule is having the time to put down in writing some of the thoughts swirling around in my head and to really appreciate the things God is teaching/showing me. I often hesitate to share things like this because I'm not a Bible teacher, but I was really encouraged by this so I thought I'd share....

So, for a few months now a certain verse has been rattling around in my head. I first noticed in last year while reading thru the Bible. While I’ve read the Gospel of John several times I had never picked up on the huge message presented in this one verse. One of the things that I’m so thankful for is that Christ did not hide His humanness; we see him struggle with things that we all struggle with.
The verse that’s been rattling around in my mind for months is in John 13 “During supper, when the devil had already put it into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, to betray him, 3 Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he had come from God and was going back to God, 4 rose from supper. He laid aside his outer garments, and taking a towel, tied it around his waist. 5 Then he poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples' feet and to wipe them with the towel that was wrapped around him. “ ~John 13:2-5 Let’s take a step back here and consider the setting. Jesus was at dinner with his disciples. He KNEW that Judas Iscariot, sitting at the same table, would betray Him; verse 2 says the plan was already in his heart. He KNEW that Simon Peter, also at that table, would deny Him. As a human, I’m sure He had the feeling of not wanting to serve them of not wanting to show kindness to those who would hurt Him SO deeply; why do I say this? Look closely at verse 3; after we are told that Judas already had it in his heart to betray Jesus and before Jesus washes the disciples feet there is a pause...a moment where everything shifts...where His humanness and the temptation to sinful attitudes is put under His Divine authority ...how? “Jesus knowing...” Jesus knows Who He is; knowing where He came from, where He was going and that ALL was in God’s hands...He could humble Himself and serve, choosing to follow God’s plan despite the actions and attitudes of those around Him; even those closest to Him.
We can have this mind of Christ; so beautifully exemplified by Jesus, serving others and living with humility because of Whose we are. When so much is unknown, when serving others; especially those who have hurt and betrayed us is so hard and can become so tiresome, look to the One who was betrayed to death & denied by some of the closest ones to Him during His time here on Earth. Jesus was fully human; Hebrews 4:15 says “ For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin.” He felt the same things we feel; let’s follow His example by first remembering Whose we are and then stepping out in faith and obedience trusting that God is with us every step of the way.
“When he had washed their feet and put on his outer garments and resumed his place, he said to them, “Do you understand what I have done to you? 13 You call me Teacher and Lord, and you are right, for so I am. 14 If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet. 15 For I have given you an example, that you also should do just as I have done to you. 16 Truly, truly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. 17 If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them. “ ~ John 13:12-16

1 comment:

  1. This is such a great thought that you shared: "Let’s follow His example by first remembering Whose we are and then stepping out in faith and obedience trusting that God is with us every step of the way." We need to remember this today and every day. What a great encouragement!

    ReplyDelete