Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Connecting the "C's" of this past week (and a new-to-me song!)

I love patterns and connections so I always think it's fun to see Biblical Truths connected in my mind in fun or odd ways.  So, what is the connection between Christine Caine, Candy Crush and Christ?  Well, read on to find out....

This week I finished up a 30 day devotional plan using the YouVersion Bible App.   The devotional was based on Christine Caine's book "30 Days to Greater Faith".  Each day started with a devotional thought, followed by a Scripture passage or two and then a place to add any comments about what God was teaching you thru that day's reading.  The format is nice and the app allows you to do the devotional with friends so it is also a great way to connect at this time and keep growing with other believers.

The "theme" for day 29's devotional was on keeping our long-term vision for what this life is all about, our goal.   This quote was an especially good reminder "Having a clear picture of what the race of life is all about, where we are heading, and what we are likely to encounter along the way will sustain us for the entire duration" ~ Christine Caine. The Scripture references she used were Hebrews 12:1-3 and Philippians 3:7-14.  Great Scriptures about staying focused on our ultimate prize...Jesus and eternity with Him!

Since being at home with this pandemic going around I started playing Candy Crush again. I'll use it while we're watching a movie in the evening to keep my hands busy so I'm not as tempted to snack.  It's a game app similar to Jewels; however, with Candy Crush each level has a goal and you have a certain number of moves each level to accomplish that goal.  It's mostly mindless but there is some strategizing to it.  The other day while playing Candy Crush a thought came to mind.  You see, as I mentioned, each level has a different goal. Sometimes it takes me several tries to move past a level and when I get to the next level occasionally I'll forget to check what the goal is for that level and start working on the previous level's goal.  Or I will focus on one side of the board and completely lose sight of moves I need to make on the other side of the board.  When this happens I end up using precious moves working towards something that isn't even my goal or missing opportunities to move closer to the goal.

This got me thinking about that devotional.  How often in life do we make moves towards something that isn't even our goal?  We think we know what we should be doing so we go head-long in that direction without checking or praying about if that is even what God has for us.  There are also times in life where God has given us a task for a certain season and we can sometimes fall into thinking that that task is ours for every season of life.  Or we become so focused on one area that we can miss what God has for us in another area.  All of this reminded me how important it is to be in regular conversation with Christ so that we don't let things distract us and steal precious "moves"; using them on things that aren't what God has for us.   

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God." ~ Hebrews 12:1-2

"Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time because the days are evil.  Therefore, do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is." ~ Ephesians 5:15-17

"I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." ~ Philippians 3:14

"I bow my life, I fix my eyes, on Christ my King
I bow my life, I fix my eyes, on Christ my King"

Hope has a name

2 comments:

  1. I'm always reminded that the race of the Christian life is a marathon. It's encouraging to remember that God is the Designer of the course.

    Really enjoying your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. I've been focusing on 2 Corinthians 12:9 recently and how I need to trust in God's grace because it really is sufficient for the long race.

    ReplyDelete