Saturday, January 29, 2011

Evolution of a recipe..and some input needed

I've been trying to recreate a store bought cookie bar and have almost succeeded. I'll explain below and am also hoping for some tips from you all to help me achieve the consistency I'm looking for.

So, this all started when I tasted a bar cookie during refreshment time at church. They were delicious and I could tell had some healthier ingredients in them. I could see sunflower and poppy seeds throughout the bars and was intrigued. I'm always looking for healthier, easy snacks to send in the kids lunchboxes.

I asked the lady who brings in and organizes the refreshments what they were. They are called "Healthy Hermits" and she had bought them from a local grocery store. She explained that all the ingredients were "normal" and ones that I probably had on hand. I tore off the ingredient list from the package (with permission of course :) ) and set out to recreate these at home. Side note: the stores version is almost $5 for a plastic tub container and I knew that I could make them for much less.

My first batch came out more like a cake. We all thought it tasted good but I had cooked the batter in a 9 X 13 pan, which turned out to be much too small and thus created a thick cake. The texture was also much drier than I wanted and a bit too light. The ones I had had at church were very moist and dense.

I made some changes to the second batch and cooked it in a jelly roll pan. These came out better but still weren't quite as moist and dense as I was hoping. So, now I'm getting ready to make a third batch (they really are quite tasty :) and have worked well as snacks) but am somewhat at a loss as to what changes to make.

I'll post the recipe and then my thoughts of what might work to achieve the desired texture, again, any input would be really appreciated.

Healthy Hermits:

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup whole grain flour *
1 cup raisin paste (I soak raisins in hot water and then puree them)
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar (or sucanat)
1/2 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1 cup oats
1/4 cup almonds or walnuts chopped fine
2 TB sunflower seeds
2 TB poppy seeds
1/4 cup flax seed
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cloves

Cream sugars with oil. Add in eggs, raisin paste and vanilla. Mix. In separate bowl mix together all dry ingredients. Add dry ingredients to wet mixture. Stir to combine. Pour into greased 15 X 10 inch pan. Bake at 350 until done 15-20 minutes.

*the original recipe called for malted barley flour, I had 6-grain flour on hand so that is what I used.

Here are my thoughts on getting a more dense, moist texture.
Increasing the raisin paste to 1 1/2 cups
Decreasing the eggs to 1
Decreasing the all purpose flour to 1 cup
Heating the sugars, oil and raisin paste to dissolve the sugars & honey before adding in the dry ingredients.

3 comments:

  1. My vote is leave out the extra egg. I know when your making brownies, they always say to add an extra egg to make it more "cake like" so on the flip side, using one less egg should have the opposite effect of less cale like. Let me know how it works! - Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elisha,

    I would definitely try decreasing the eggs. I discovered this by accident one time when I left an egg out of a malted milk brownie recipe. I had never been totally pleased with the brownies since they were too cakelike, but I did like the flavor. One time I only had 3 eggs (it called for 4) but went ahead and made them anyway. It surely did make them more moist! I don't understand the science behind it, but it works.

    I also wonder if using the barley flour,rather than the 6-grain, would make a difference. I have some barley flour (just bought it at Hannaford in the natural foods section, I believe) and it seems softer to me. I think if it were me, I would try these two things and then go from there. Your other thoughts all seem valid to me also; I just wouldn't try to change too many things at once because then you wouldn't be sure what made the difference.

    Keep us posted... sounds like a good recipe in the making!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joy - That was my thinking too. I'll be sure to post how they come out.

    Mrs. T. - Thank you for the input. I was hoping to get to the grocery store today to pick up some barley flour but with the snow I didn't. I think I'll try another batch tomorrow with decreasing the egg and maybe changing one or two other things and see how they come out.

    ReplyDelete