Friday, February 12, 2010

Small blessings amid sickness

Let me start by saying that last Friday evening I attended a ladies fellowship at church. One of the ladies shared her testimony, it was such an encouragement and blessing; you see, this lady came to accept Christ as her Savior late in life and not only experienced many trials before her salvation but a little over a year ago was literally run over by an SUV while walking to work. It is a miracle that she is alive today, yet she shared how that even during her recovery she found much to be grateful for. God definitely knew that I would need the reminder to be grateful, even in times of trial. While nothing as devastating as being run over happened, this week certainly took a different turn for us.

Monday night my husband and I both came down with a stomach bug; just as we were starting to feel better our two oldest children came down with the same bug Wednesday night. As I was going thru this week there were several blessings that God gave to once again show his perfect timing and provision. I thought I would share some of these small blessings:

1) While both my husband and I were sick the older two children were huge helpers. They understood that we weren't feeling well and really helped out with Keira and also with doing little tasks for us.

2) The kids played well together and didn't really get at each other.

3) Keira napped exceptionally well allowing us to get extra rest.

4) Wednesday night Hailey showed symptoms of being sick but Ethan was still acting fine. I was praying for wisdom as to whether to keep him home or not on Thursday. At 5AM on Thursday he began showing symptoms, thus giving a clear answer to my prayer (and preventing him from getting sick at school)

5) My husband and I seemed to have opposite bursts of energy which helped with switching off taking care of the kids.

6) Keira did not get the stomach bug.

7) This week was pretty empty. I did have to reschedule a lunch/playdate but other than that my week was free (which is very rare).

8) One of my other prayers was that the kids would be sick at the same time so that we could be done with the bug quicker (rather than having it slowly move from person to person) they both got sick within hours of each other and are both almost back to normal.

These may sound silly to some but it truly was amazing to me to see God moving in this situation, as small as it is in the whole scheme of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment