Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Power of a Woman's Words to her friends.

Once again, I'm a bit late getting this up. Last week was school vacation here so I wasn't on my "normal" routine. Last week's chapter was on how our words affect our friends and also the importance of having Godly friends to encourage and to be encouraged by.

One quote that I really liked from the book was this:

"Jesus could very well have come to earth and lived
in solitude. And yet He chose to be in relationship with
people. He ministered to the masses, but also chose 12 men
with whom He nurtured a spiritually intimate relationship.
Likewise, I believe that God has designed women to develop
godly friendships and encourage each other with our words. We
are much like coals or cinders that die out alone, but burst into
flame when brought together and stirred."

One verse that she shared is Isaiah 50:4 "The Lord GOD has given Me The tongue of the learned, That I should know how to speak A word in season to [him who is] weary." This really spoke to me because it is so easy to get caught up in my own life and to forget how desperately we all need to be encouraged and how that an encouraging word can lift someone up and help them to press on.

As part of this chapter Mrs. Jaynes also dealt with 3 areas of speech that can damage relationships, cause hurt and can hinder (and in some cases halt) spiritual growth. These three areas are gossip, slander and deceit. In Romans 1: 28-32 Paul describes gossip and slander as marks of a depraved mind. It is so important to guard our hearts and minds so that we don't give any place to such depravity in our lives. Likewise, in Proverbs 20:23 Deceit or "divers weights" are described as "an abomination unto the Lord" Proverbs 12: 22 also says "Lying lips [are] an abomination to the LORD, But those who deal truthfully [are] His delight."

It's easy to read these verses and see how awful gossip, slander and deceit are but unfortunately it is also easy to let these slip into our conversations if we are not continually on guard and prayerfully seeking God's guidance in everything we say.

In Job 40:4 a simple solution is found "Behold, I am vile; What shall I answer You? I lay my hand over my mouth" we are to, if need be, literally place our hand over our mouths to keep from speaking wrong. Just the image of placing a hand over my mouth when I'm tempted to say something I shouldn't is a good reminder for me.

"A man has joy by the answer of his mouth, And a word
[spoken] in due season, how good [it is]!"
~Proverbs 15:23

"Ointment and perfume delight the heart, And the
sweetness of a man's friend [gives delight] by hearty counsel."
~Proverbs 27:9

No comments:

Post a Comment