Monday, October 18, 2021

Fun & Frugal

 


Pictures taken at a reservation near our house



Good morning!  The pictures above are some I took last week on a walk near our house.  It was a bit cloudy so the colors don't show up well but it was such a pretty walk (and free entertainment & exercise)!

So today I wanted to do a quick post to share a couple tips.  With inflation rising and the cost of items going up and up; especially groceries!  I thought I would share a couple quick tips that we have found helpful to save some money.  Here are a "top 5" of how we save on groceries and clothing:

1) Buy & Freeze - Buying off the discount rack is a great way to stock up on items.  I always check discounted bagels & breads that are too pricey to buy normally.  I throw them in the freezer so they stay as fresh as possible.  Last week I was able to buy 5 loaves of cinnamon swirl french toast bread for $1.68 each!  I also check the dry goods discount rack and often find great deals on pasta and other items there. 


2) Rotisserie Chickens - I have found that these are cheaper than buying a raw whole chicken.  Even cheaper is to look for the cold chickens that didn't sell (at our store these are listed as "cold chicken parts")  I bring them home, debone/skin them, shred and place in quart freezer bags.  These are great for quick meals.  The price on the cold ones used to be just under $3/chicken but last week I noticed they had gone up a bit but still cheaper than buying any other way.  Another meat tip: It's almost always cheaper to buy and cut yourself.  We'll buy a large pork loin roast and cut it into smaller roasts or chops ourselves to save the difference in price. 


3) Make it homemade - If you have time, this is obviously one of the biggest ways to save money.  I make our regular sandwich bread each week.  Muffins, quick breads, etc are all quick easy snacks to make homemade.  I also make a large batch of granola every couple of weeks; since granola is so versatile you can tailor the ingredients to your budget.  

4) Learn to DIY - This is similar to #3 but making something or fixing something yourself is not only frugal but also very rewarding.  There are Youtube videos for pretty much anything you want to learn.  

5) Thrifting - I joke with my oldest daughter that we were into thrifting before it was cool. :D  Whenever my kids need clothes or I'm looking for something for the house the first place I like to check is Savers.  Savers is similar to a Goodwill but I've had better luck at Savers so that is my "go-to" place.  

Bonus: If you have the time and space consider planting a garden. It doesn't have to be big.  Some things that produce a lot in a small space are green beans, tomatoes and hot peppers.  

1 comment:

  1. Great ideas, Elisha! I didn't realize that the rotisserie chickens work out to be cheaper per pound in the end -- and the cooking is already done for you. What a win-win!

    I have a feeling we are all going to be needing more frugal ideas in the days to come.

    The photos of your walk were so nice -- I saw the ones on Instagram also. So much beauty out there in God's creation, and it's comforting to be surrounded by that.

    ReplyDelete