Monday, May 15, 2023

Happy Homemaker 5/15/23

 

Life continues to be hectic here but I'm thankful we've been able to take some time to rest a bit amid the busyness.  I am glad to be able to join in this week on the Happy Homemaker Monday posts done by Sandra over at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom   

The Weather:::

Today is gorgeous.  We're finally getting some sun and temps in the 70's.  Continuing to enjoy the beautiful sunshine and warmer temps


As I look outside my window:::

A lot of green, the foliage is on most of the trees now and the bunnies in the yard are very active.


Right now I am:::
Blogging, waiting for bread dough to rise.  Just taking a minute before jumping into the rest of my day.        


Thinking and pondering:::
Thankful for God's provision.  Deciding what order to do tasks this week.


On my bedside table:::
Water bottle, phone charger, notecards, multiple books.       


On my tv this week::: 
Probably not much.  Possible some Junior British Bake Off since there is a new season and the kids and I always enjoy it.

Listening to:::
The dishwasher going, birds singing.        


On the Breakfast plate:::
Had a brunch of a vegetable omelet topped with sliced avocado.  Coffee and a small bowl of fruit with unsweetened yogurt.
 

On the dinner plate::: 
Stuffed peppers
 

On the menu for this week:::

Instead of sharing this week's menu I wanted to share some of the healthier dinners we had last week.  We're not going Keto/super low carb but these were great recipes to reduce the carbs we had.  They were a hit with everyone so I'll be printing them to add to our family recipe binder. 

Greek Chickpea Salad - One of our kiddos has an allergy to raw tomato so I left that out and added more cucumber.  I paired this with shark.  All the kids LOVED the salad; they weren't huge fans of the shark so I'll stick with other fish I know they like.  This has also been added to the menu for an upcoming graduation party.

Keto Beef Stew - Most of the kids really liked this and no one missed the potatoes.  It does have a lot of mushrooms and a few kids don't like those. I'll probably find something else to use so there aren't so many next time.  I also just used corn starch in water to thicken this at the end.  It was delicious.

Egg Roll in a Bowl AKA Keto Crack Slaw - this is a recipe I'd seen Mrs. T mention on her blog Across My Table - I'm not sure if this is the exact recipe she uses but this recipe was fantastic.  I didn't have ground pork so I used ground beef and just drained it really well and wiped out the pan.  This was another big hit with everyone.  Quick, easy and very flavorful.

Paleo Asian Chicken Cabbage Salad - While the chicken was cooking several family members wandered in from other rooms to see what smelled so good.  I used regular frozen peas and soy sauce instead of the snow peas and coconut aminos.  

Tonight we're having Stuffed peppers and I'll be using brown rice in those.

Crockpot sausage & peppers is also on the menu. 

 
 
On my reading pile:::
42 Years in the White House
Bible 
Jude: Contending for the Faith by Jackie Hill Perry - Yep, still working on this.  I'll admit I didn't really get to it last week.


On my to do list today:::
Make Bread
Laundry 
General clean up from the weekend (although with house projects everything is a bit of a mess right now)
Finish painting outside railing
Figure out schedule for this week

Plans for this week:::
Meal plan and grocery list
Continue with flooring/renovations



What I am creating:::
Crochet tunic top; The squares are done, now I need to figure out a setup to block them before joining them.
Continuing some house projects.



From the camera:::
Last week we celebrated our anniversary.  While the kids were at school we drove to a new-to-us bike trail and enjoyed a beautiful bike ride along the ocean. It was so wonderful to spend time together and enjoy the gorgeous weather and views.  Definitely a place we want to go again.

I'm not sure why this came out a bit dark, it was a beautifully sunny day.



 
 
 
Bible verse, Devotional, Quote:::
I believe that there are no coincidences when it comes to language in the Bible.  This past week I noticed a phrase used in a verse that I'd never noticed before.  Psalm 40:12 says "For evils have encompassed me beyond number; my iniquities have overtaken me, and I cannot see; they are more than the hairs of my head; my heart fails me." that made me think of a verse I am familiar with; Luke 12:7 "Why, even the hairs of your head are all numbered.  Fear not; you are of more value than many sparrows." 
God has numbered every hair on our head; He loves us so much.  When our troubles seem overwhelming He knows every detail of what is happening and cares for us through those troubles. David ends Psalm 40 with this assurance of care and deliverance.  Psalm 40:17 "As for me, I am poor and needy, but the Lord takes thought for me. You are my help and my deliverer; do not delay, O my God!"

 
On my prayer list:::

Friends & Family 

 

It's been nice to jump back in this week.  I hope you all have a lovely week.

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your anniversary! It sounds like you had a wonderful celebration. Exploring a new bike path and enjoying a scenic ride along the ocean sounds absolutely delightful. It's so special to spend quality time together, especially in such beautiful weather with stunning views. It's great to hear that you found a place you'd love to visit again. Cherish these precious moments and here's to many more amazing adventures together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your anniversary, looks like you had a great time. Homemade bread, must smell soooo good in your house. Shark? not sure about that one. Have a great week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, the bread smells wonderful; my kids always love coming home Monday afternoon since they know it's bread-baking day. My 9yr old was curious about shark and the grocery store happened to have it last week so we tried it. I'm thankful that my kids are adventurous eaters so always fun to try something new.

      Delete
  3. This was a fun one today! Congrats on your anniversary. That bike ride looked like a fun way to celebrate.

    That egg roll in a bowl recipe is pretty much how I make it. It's so adaptable. I've also added sliced peppers (any color), zucchini strips, broccoli florets, or sliced celery (or a combination of any of these) depending on what produce I have on hand.

    And for a potato substitute in a beef stew, cubed turnips work really well. Your kids might prefer them to mushrooms. I just get one of the large waxed turnips, peel and cube it, and keep the cubes in a ziplock bag until needed. I add them to any recipe where potatoes might be good -- like in a chowder, for example. They do have carbs, yes, but a fraction of the carbs of potatoes. Their rather distinctive flavor tends to get tamed by other flavors in a dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I love the idea of adding other veggies the the egg roll in a bowl. Thank you for the turnip idea; another person I was chatting with had suggested parsnips, so a couple options to keep in mind. I hope you have a great week.

      Delete
  4. Happy Anniversary, what a beautiful view! Hope you are having a great week so far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy anniversary! I loved those photos! What a beautiful day to spend together on a bike ride! I think that would just be the perfect anniversary celebration! I hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete