Monday, January 3, 2022

Reading through the Bible in 2022

Good morning,  I thought I'd take a minute to share the plan I will be using this year to read through the Bible.  If you have never read through the Bible I encourage you to make that a goal this year.  I had read much of the Bible but up until 2019 I had never read through it entirely.  At the beginning of 2019 our pastor issued a challenge for everyone in our church to read through the entire Bible that year.  Since that first time I have read through the Bible each year using different reading plans.  Each of these can be found in the YouVersion app.  Here are the ones I've done each year and then I'll chat about the one I'm using this year.

2019 - Genesis - Revelation in order; since there was a group of us reading it together I chose to read from "cover-to-cover" for this first time.

2020 - Historical Sequence - This is probably my favorite plan I've used so far and I plan to use it again in the future.  The plan in YouVersion is broken up into 12 parts.  I love history and really appreciated how this plan places the prophecies in with when each king ruled; etc.  I learned so much using this plan and came to a fuller understanding of how things all fit together.  I also loved reading the New Testament this way as it puts the Gospel accounts of each event all together and then fits in the epistles with Acts and where each person was.  

2021 - Biblical Storyline Plan - Last year I read the Old Testament in the traditional Jewish/Hebrew order which follows the Torah, Tanakh and then moved to the New Testament.  The Tanakh groups the Old Testament books together a bit differently than our English Bibles but it wasn't all that different to read it this way.

2022 - One Year Bible Plan - This year I'm once again reading through the Bible with a group.  We are following the One Year Bible plan. Along with this YouVersion plan several of us are using a devotional by Nancy Guthrie titled Praying through the Bible for Your Kids.  This devotional uses the daily reading from the One Year Bible plan and applies those truths to parenting.  At the end of each devotional is a prayer for your kids.  

So that is what I'm doing this year.  What reading plans or devotionals are you digging into this year?  If you don't have one planned yet I'd encourage you to start one. It doesn't matter that it's not January 1st, what matters is that each day we are filling our minds with the truth of Scripture.  One last thought, that's a bit unrelated but still really important.  As I was reading about Jesus' baptism today I remembered something I heard on a podcast (can't remember which one).  At the baptism of Jesus we see all three Persons of the Trinity; Jesus baptized, the Spirit as a Dove and the voice of the Father.  Praying is a time when we are fully engaging with those three Persons at the same time.  The Holy Spirit helps us to know what to pray (Romans 8:26), we pray through the access we have in Jesus name to the Father.  Do not neglect the Scriptures or prayer; they are both priceless gifts from a Loving Father.  



No comments:

Post a Comment