Sunday, June 17, 2012

Wisdom lessons

I wanted to share a couple things that God has been reminding me, teaching me over the past couple of weeks.  They've been an encouragement to me and I hope they are to you also.

Last week we had a very rough day.  It seemed that all of us were just grumpy and no matter what we tried, obedience was not happening.  We were tired, frustrated and overwhelmed.  That night, practically in tears, I said to my husband "I just don't know what to do.  What will make them listen and behave."  Now, I was not doing my best at keeping my own emotions in check which I know lead to much of the friction so I'm not absolving myself of some responsibility.

The next morning I was in the shower and God brought a couple verses in James to my mind.  The first was James 1:5 & 6
If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, 
who gives to all liberally and without reproach, 
and it will be given to him. But let him ask in faith, with no 
doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea 
driven and tossed by the wind.

I may not know how to raise my kids, or how to always control my emotions but God does!  He is just waiting for me to seek His wisdom so that he can lavish his love and wisdom on our family.  I need only rest in Him having faith that He will keep His promises.  So, the next question that came to mind was "what does God's wisdom look like?"  Again a verse in James sums this up very well.

But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, 
then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and 
good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy. 18 
 Now the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace.
James 3:17 & 18

Ouch, those words hit my heart hard!  I had certainly not been pure in my speech to my children or husband, I had not been peaceable or gentle.  I often fight against yielding to God's will or showing His mercy to those, who ironically, I love the most on this earth.  In order for God's righteousness to bear fruit in my life I need to be a peacemaker.  I must give up my "rights" and sometimes even my comforts (how many times I would rather sit with a book & cup of tea rather than help one of my children in the bathroom, wipe a nose, etc).  But thru all this God promises His wisdom!  Wow!  What a far better treasure than a cup of tea & good book! 

It's always fun to see how God links things together so in another post I will share a couple more things that God has showed me this week building on trusting in Him for wisdom to all of life's circumstances.  In closing I want to leave you with two more verses from James.  These verses are ones that, while I often struggle to follow, is something I often find myself quoting in my head.

So then, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift 
to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath; 20 for the wrath of
 man does not produce the righteousness of God.
James 1:19 & 20

No comments:

Post a Comment