Thursday, April 1, 2010

Another "from the pantry" recipe

I thought I'd share another recipe I came up with using "on-hand" ingredients. I used my baked mac & cheese recipe for the basic instructions but changed the ingredients to remove the lactose and make a full meal. It's nothing fancy but was a big hit here.

Baked Chicken & Broccoli Pasta

1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, divided use
1/4 cup flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 lb pasta (I used penne)
16 oz frozen broccoli, thawed and drained of any water
2 cups cooked chicken cubed
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups shredded cheese (I shredded some partial blocks of yogurt cheese I had on hand to eliminate the lactose since I can't have it)
1 cup bread crumbs (I used Panko)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook pasta according to package instructions. While pasta is cooking melt 4 TB butter in saucepan. Add flour and stir together for a minute. Slowly stir in chicken broth; bring to boil, stirring constantly. Boil and stir for 2 minutes to thicken. Add all cheese and stir until melted. Add broccoli and chicken to cheese sauce. Drain pasta. Add 2 TB butter and all garlic to pasta. stir until butter is melted. Mix sauce with pasta. Pour into lightly greased 9 x 13 pan. Melt remaining 2 TB butter and mix with bread crumbs until all are coated a bit. Sprinkle bread crumbs on top of pasta. Bake 30-40 min or until the top is just browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment