Thursday, October 6, 2022

Psalm 73 Verse Mapping (verses 3-4)


"For I was envious of the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked, 
For they have no pangs until death; their bodies are fat and sleek."
Psalm 73:3-4 (ESV

DESIGN:

"For I was envious of the arrogant As I saw the prosperity of the wicked.  For there are no pains in their death, and their body is fat." (NASB)

"For I was envious at the foolish, When I saw the prosperity of the wicked.  For there are no bands in their death: but their strength is firm." (KJV)

"For I envied the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.  They have no struggles; their bodies are healthy and strong." (NIV)

DEVELOPMENT:

Verse 3:

halal = to be boastful, to praise, arrogant, praised, making fools.

Verse 4:

chartsubbah = bond, fetter, pang, pains

ul = body, belly

bari = fat, plentiful, plump

ACTIONS:

Asaph, being in a place of leadership within both the temple and palace, would have seen the corruption that can come with riches and power.

FIND:

Proverbs 24:1 = "Be not envious of evil men, nor desire to be with them."

Proverbs 24:19 = "Fret not yourself because of evildoers, and be not envious of the wicked."

Psalm 37:1 = "Fret not yourself because of evildoers, and be not envious of the wicked."

Philippians 3:18-19 = "For many, of whom I have often told you and now tell you even with tears, walk as enemies of the cross of Christ.  Their end is destruction, their god is their belly, and they glory in their shame, with minds set on earthly things."

GOD:

God is merciful and there is a general blessing and provision that He gives to all His creation.  Matthew 5:45 reminds us that the rain "falls on the just and unjust" and in Romans 2:4 we are told that God's kindness is meant to lead people to repentance.

YOU/MANKIND:

As humans we look around and compare.  Our vision is limited so it is hard to understand why the wicked prosper.  It is frustrating to see them praised and seemingly living a life of ease.

ASK/APPLICATION:

As believers we must keep a view to eternity.  We are told that this life is a mere vapor (James 4:14) and to not seek man's approval (Galatians 1:10).  We are to work for the Lord and not for man's praise (Colossians 3:23).  All will perish except what we do for God.  Are we storing up things that will last and count for eternity or are we focused on earthly things that don't matter (I Corinthians 3:11-13).  What we set our hearts on is what we treasure. (Matthew 6:21).

PRAY/PRAISE:

Dear Father, keep my heart and mind focused on You.  I praise You for the eternal life and hope I have in You; let that be my focus and not on gaining the riches of this world or man's approval.  Keep my heart from being envious of those who the world praises.  Help me to remember that they are enslaved; to those riches and praise.  Keep my heart enslaved to Your goodness, kindness and commands.  God I pray that the general blessings You provide to all Your creation would lead many to repentance.  Help me to show Your kindness to others. In Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment