Saturday, January 16, 2021

A bit of this and that

Just a few things on this Saturday:

1) Do you ever choose a word of the year?  I've done this the past few years and post Bible verses related to that word on a letter board I have in our entryway.  I change out the verse each month; it's a great way to keep focus on Scripture.  My "word" for 2019 was joy and for 2020 it was peace.  I've always found it interesting to see how God uses these words & verses to keep my focus on Him in circumstances throughout the year.  This past year it was especially helpful to have a verse about peace - finding peace in God - to read several times a day as I walked past the letter board.  This year the words "thankful/gratitude" are what I'm focusing on.  2020 was challenging but God also blessed in many ways and I want to remember to focus on gratitude even when things aren't the way I'd choose.

2) I've missed the past couple weeks of the Thankful Thursday posts; which is a bit ironic seeing as that's my "word".  I'm definitely thankful for much but my focus these past weeks has been on a few other offline things so I've chosen to not stress about posting.  

3) I use the Goodreads app/website to keep track of books I want to read, those I'm reading and those I have read.  It's a great resource as I can also see what friends are reading or what they thought of a particular book.  Here is my summary of what books I read in 2020: Books of 2020 .  Another feature that I love about Goodreads is that if there is a book my kids want to read we can check reviews on Goodreads to see if it's any good or if there is anything inappropriate in the book. 

4) Last year I shared that I was reading through the Bible using a Historical Sequence plan.  I truly enjoyed reading it that way and am planning to repeat that plan sometime in the future.  This year a friend mentioned she was using a plan that has you read through the Bible in the Tanakh order.  The Tanakh is the traditional Jewish order for the Old Testament organizing the books into three sections: the Law, Prophets and Writings.  So I'm trying that plan this year.  No matter how you read the Bible, whether cover to cover, studying a particular book or topic the important this is to be in the Bible each day!  

5) Your turn:  What books are you reading or hoping to read in 2021?  What are your plans for Bible reading?  Do you choose a "word" for each year?  

6) Another "new-to-me" song I wanted to share: I'm so thankful that there is Never a Time when God is not God and is not with us...


2 comments:

  1. My word for this year is REJOICE! As I read my bible and I come across that word I right it done in my journal. Love you blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that; I almost chose praise as mine for this year.

    ReplyDelete